Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Response to L

A quick challenge to my dear friend L's recent post:
I will admit that there are flaws, as every single piece of legislation passed in American history has had. I think Democrats understand this point: “Our plan is not perfect, but it is a good start toward providing affordable health care to all Americans,” said Representative Peter A. DeFazio of Oregon in the NYT article.
What do you believe are the biggest flaws of this legislation? Everyone agrees there are flaws, but the solutions would pull the legislation in different directions. I am curious to hear exactly what L and C consider the biggest flaws of the House bill to be. 

Consider the recent "Stupak amendment." This would go a long way towards denying coverage for abortions to those who need it most. Is the flawed bill worth such a drastic step back on reproductive rights?

I am suspicious that Democrats want to pass a bill simply to say they have "passed health care reform." Much like I am suspicious Republicans want the bill to fail because it would be a blow to the President.
For the longer Obama waited, the more criticism he would endure from those who elected him partially (primarily, for many) to deliver on this promise.
I strongly disagree that health care was a primary reason Obama was elected. I googled a CNN exit poll, and only 9% listed health care as the most important issue. The economy was at 62%.

Even if we accept that the economy and health care are inextricably linked, the House bill does not address the overlapping parts. As far as I know, it does not even purport to lower costs (bills with a public option at least claim to do so) or create new jobs. It simply creates a new entitlement by taxing the rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment